A Brief History of the City
The area, then part of Layton, was settled in the 1870’s by James Hill and his family. Early settlers used it to graze their animals but, even though the land was fertile, culinary water had to be hauled in from the Weber River.
The area was commonly called The Range, Sand Ridge, The Basin and The Summit. The first school was built in 1885 just south of the cemetery.
Clinton would not become an official town until 1936, and its growth was relatively small until the 1960’s.
In 1950, the total population of Clinton City was only 670 and it would be 19 years before the city even established its own police department.
But, Clinton was poised for tremendous growth as shown below:
Clinton’s families reflect those of many other Northern Davis communities. About one of every four residents was born outside of Utah; almost four of every five households have children under the age of 18 living at home.
Clinton City is a progressive city, seeking to establish a safe, convenient, and fun place to live and raise a family.